FAIR WEEK 2018
Day 1 - Project Set up
March 16, 2018 Friday @ Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton
Time: 2 pm - 9 pm (Closing Time is 9 pm) Project Display Set up - takes between 30-45 minutes.
Location : Alameda County Fairgrounds - Pleasanton, CA . Map of Fairgrounds Parking: Off of Valley Ave. enter Gate 8 ("marked as green gate on map") follow directions for SCIENCE FAIR to the Main Parking Lot. Check in at Building Q
What to do : *Parents or teachers may help with set up if the student participant is unavailable.
1. Bring: (a) project display board, (b) log book, (c) 10 copies of project abstract with your Title and project ID # typed/written in the upper right corner, (d) printed copy of Form 1C *only if your project was completed at a college or professional lab, (e) additional display items such as: written report (optional for 6th grade but recommended if the 6th grader hopes to move on to state or nationals) see this link for contents of the written report, models or other enhancements for your project (see rules at this link). Note: Follow these directions for project set up
2. Take home all of the handouts that you find at your display area. These contain important information!
Day 2 - Judging Interviews
March 17, 2018 Saturday @ Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton. **Participants - don't forget your bag lunch/drink, laynard/BADGE & fair Pin - NO ID badge = no admittance to project bldg.
Wear “dress to impress” clothing, laynard, ID badge, fair pin
8:45 am Student Participants arrive - go to assigned display area *Sorry parent/guardians/teachers - only badged persons beyond the building doors.
9:00 am - 12:15 pm - Round 1 Judging - *Determines category awards 1st - HM and Special Interest Awards (provided by organizations supporting the fair).
12:15 pm (or earlier if announced) - Take all valuables and personal belongings with you (laptops/tablets/phones, backpacks). Leave display board, abstracts, repoort binder and logbook set up.
12:15 pm -12:30 pm - Aerial group photo ALL participants @ designated area TBD
12:30 pm - 1:15 pm - Lunch on your own weather permitting at outside picnic areas. *Students accompanied by an adult chaperone may leave the fairgrounds to find lunch in downtown Pleasanton - 3 block away from yellow gate on Pleasanton Ave (see "Downtown" map provided at check in). No students allowed out of gates without an adult chaperone. ID badge will be checked going out and back in!
1:15 pm - EVERYONE return to your project displays. Look for a bright yellow sign attached to your display board. This indicates you will remain for Round 2 judging. If you are not needed for round 2 judging you may remove your entire display and meet your ride for home.
** Note: If you are not needed for Round 2 it means you gave the judges enough information to make their decision! It DOES NOT mean that your project is not already a category winner (1st - HM) or Special Interest Award recipient
******Monday March 19th after 5 pm - Check ACSEF website http://acsef.org 2018 Pre-Award Ceremony RESULTS link to learn if your project has won an award and therefore you’ll need to attend the Award Ceremony on Wednesday March 28th 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm @ Chabot College Reed L. Buffington Performing Arts Center (PAC), 25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545
_Questions and Lost & Found items send email to fair director at email@example.com .________________________________________________________________________________
Day 3 - Award Ceremony ** Note NEW date/time and location!
Wednesday March 28th 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm @ Chabot College Reed L. Buffington Performing Arts Center (PAC), 25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545
**Award Ceremony - Attendance is *mandatory in order to pick up awards. (see details below).
* If students cannot be present they MUST arrange someone to pick up awards for them (due to costs we do not mail awards).
What if I can't attend? - no fewer than 4 days before the awards ceremony - Absentees must email the fair director firstname.lastname@example.org -Subject line MISSING AWARDS CEREMONY - Body of email: (a) your F/L name, (b) project ID, (c) your cell phone #, (d) name of designated person picking up awards & display items. The fair will verify your request by phoning you. Designated persons must be prepared to show ID before awards will be given.
Absentee information received less than 4 days before the awards ceremony will not be acknowledged)
MANDATORY MEETING after the awards ceremony for these award winners: *discussing next steps, applications and travel arrangements*
1. Broadcom Masters (top 10% of the Middle School projects receive this award)
2. California State Science Fair Qualified and Alternate awardees (Middle & High school)
3. I-SWEEEP awardee(s)
4. Grand Award Runners-up (Middle & High school)
5. Grand Award Winners (Middle & High school)