FAIR WEEK 2018
Day 1 - Project Set up
March 16, 2018 Friday @ Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton
Time: 2 pm - 8 pm (Closing Time is 8:30 pm) Project Display Set up - takes between 30-45 minutes.
Location : Alameda County Fairgrounds - Pleasanton, CA . Map of Fairgrounds Parking: Off of Valley Ave. enter Gate 8 ("marked as green gate on map") follow directions for SCIENCE FAIR to the Main Parking Lot. Check in at Building B
What to do : *Parents may help with set up if the student participant is unavailable.
1.Note: Follow these directions for project set up
Bring these items:
(a) project display board, (b) log book, (c) 10 copies of project abstract with your Title and project ID # typed/written in the upper right corner, (d) printed copy of Form 1C *only if your project was completed at a college or professional lab, (e) printed copy of Form 7 *only if your project was a continuation of previous year's work, (f) additional display items such as: written report (optional for 6th grade but recommended if the 6th grader hopes to move on to state or nationals) see this link for contents of the written report, models or other enhancements for your project (see rules at this link).
2. Take home all of the handouts that you find at your display area. These contain important information!
Day 2 - Judging Interviews
March 17, 2018 Saturday @ Alameda County Fairgrounds, Pleasanton. **Participants - don't forget your bag lunch/drink, laynard/BADGE & fair Pin - NO ID badge = no admittance to project bldg.
Wear “dress to impress” clothing, laynard, ID badge, fair pin
8:45 am Student Participants arrive - go to assigned display area *Sorry parent/guardians/teachers - only badged persons beyond the building doors.
9:00 am - 12:15 pm - Round 1 Judging - *Determines category awards 1st - HM and Special Interest Awards (provided by organizations supporting the fair).
12:15 pm (or earlier if announced) - Take all valuables and personal belongings with you (laptops/tablets/phones, backpacks). Leave display board, abstracts, report binder and logbook set up.
12:15 pm -12:30 pm - Aerial group photo ALL participants @ designated area TBD
12:30 pm - 1:00 pm - Lunch on your own - Bring a bag lunch & drink. If it is raining students may gather in Building P - floor seating only.
1:00 pm - EVERYONE meet in Building P. Announcement of project ID's that are required for Round 2.
** IMPORTANT : If you are not needed for Round 2 - It means you gave the judges enough information to make their decision for category (1st - HM) or Special Interest Awards !! Great Job!
Did I win an award?
When: Monday March 19th
Time: 8:00 am (no earlier)
What: Check the ACSEF official website http://acsef.org for the link to the list of projects
receiving an award based on the category judges and special award judge’s selections.
1:15 pm - EVERYONE return to your project buildings. A yellow paper stating 'STAY FOR ROUND 2 JUDGING" - this will also have your project ID on it.
Everyone else please quickly remove your display items. You can go back to Building P and wait for your ride home or leave if your ride is at the fairgrounds.
** Remember check the ACSEF website http://acsef.org on Monday morning after 8 am for projects that are receiving an award.
1:30 pm - 3:30 Round 2 judging
Questions and Lost & Found items send email to fair director at email@example.com Include your project ID First and Last name & description of the lost item ___________________________________________________________
Day 3 - Award Ceremony ** NOTE NEW DATE/TIME AND LOCATION!
What: Wear your Dress to Impress clothes and the ACSEF ID badge. *Media photos taken
When: Wednesday evening March 28th
Where: Chabot College 25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward.
Building 1300 Performing Arts Center
Parking Lot G off Hesperian and Depot Road - $2 cash only accepted at machines.
** Please consider traffic and possibly parking congestion when leaving home to arrive on time.
Time: 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm *yes, it is a school night – so the program will begin promptly.
Attendance is mandatory to pick up awards * What if I must be absent? See next page.
:MANDATORY MEETING after the awards ceremony for these award winners:
* Discussing next steps, applications and travel arrangements for each of these winners.
* Very important – Time urgent information will be discussed!
1. Broadcom Masters (top 10% of the Middle School projects receive this award)
2. California Science and Engineering Fair (CSEF)Qualified and Alternate awardees (Middle and High school)
3. Grand Award Runners-up (CSEF) (Middle & High school)
4. Grand Award Winners (ISEF) (Middle & High school)
What If I must miss the award ceremony?
What happens with my awards?
- We are not able to mail awards to individuals due to the cost.
- Students cannot be present MUST arrange an ADULT to pick up awards for them
- Before March 23rd Absentees must email the fair director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line MISSING AWARDS CEREMONY
- Body of email:
- (a) your F/L name
- b) project ID
- (c) your cell phone number (voice mail must be set up and not full)
- (d) name of designated ADULT person picking up awards.
- The fair will verify your request by phoning you.
- Designated adult must be prepared to show ID before awards will be given.
- Absentee information received less than 4 days before the awards ceremony requesting a pick-up by another adult cannot be accommodated.