Project Judging Category Descriptions for grades 6-12
1. Animal/Human Biomedical Sciences - Including - Animal genetics, ornithology, entomology, animal ecology, paleontology, cytology, histology, animal physiology, invertebrates. The study of disease and health of humans and animals, Dentistry, pharmacology, pathology, Opthamology, nutrition, sanitation, dermatology, allergies, speech and hearing etc..
2. Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology - Including - Biology of microorganisms - bacteriology, virology, fungi, bacteria, yeast, etc. The study of Biochemistry including the chemical properties and processes of biological substances made by living organisms. The study of Molecular Biology including the organization and molecular basis of inheritance and protein synthesis (includes bioinformatics, DNA, RNA, proteins, etc.)
3. Energy, Environmental and Earth Sciences - Including - The study of energy and transportation. Aerodynamics, Alternative Fuels, fossil Fuel Energy, Vehicle Development, Renewable Energies, etc. The study of Geology, mineralogy, physiographic, oceanography, meteorology, seismology, geography and the study of pollution sources and their control Ecology, recycling, acid rain etc.
4. Human and Animal Behavioral Science - Including - The study of human & animal behavior and relationships. Psychology, sociology, anthropology, archaeology, linguistics, learning, perception, public opinion surveys, effects of stress, condition responses, etc.
5. Mathematics,Computer Sciences, Robotics and Intelligent Machines -Including – Including - Development and application of numerical computations, theories, principles and laws governing energy, calculus, geometry, abstract algebra, number theories, statistics, complex analysis and probability. Includes computer programming, computers in general etc. as well as Biomechanics, Cognitive Systems, Control theory, Robot Kinematics, Machine Learning etc.
6. Mechanical Engineering and Instruments - Including - Technology projects that directly apply scientific principles and/or practical uses. Civil, mechanical, manufacturing, aeronautical, chemical, electrical, sound, automotive, heating and refrigerating, transportation, environmental engineering, etc. Includes circuits, internet of things, microcontrollers, networking and data communication, optic sensors, signals, etc.
7. Physics and Astronomy – Including - studies dealing with matter and energy and the way they act on each other in heat, light, electricity, and sound. Includes solid state, optics, acoustics, superconductivity, fluid and gas dynamics, thermodynamics, magnetism, quantum mechanics, biophysics and states of matter.
8. Plant Sciences - Includes - The study of plant life. Agriculture, agronomy, horticulture, forestry, plant taxonomy, plant physiology, plant pathology, plant genetics, hydroponics, algae, etc.
9. Reaction and Solution Chemistry - Includes - The study of the composition of matter and laws governing it. Physical chemistry, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, materials, plastics, fuels, metallurgy, soil chemistry, etc.